Thursday, May 18, 2006

Is all meat bad meat?

I met a guy the other day who told me he'd just started eating meat again after 15 years as a vegetarian. His reasons were almost understandable. He said he'd originally given up meat because he was appalled at the way the meat industry treated animals, both for the lack of animal welfare, but principally because he realised it couldn't be good for him to eat it, pumped full as it was with steroids and mad cow disease and the like. But now, what with the organic revolution sweeping the land, he says organic, free-range meat is available at his local corner store. So there's no need to be veggie.

I asked him what it felt like eating meat again after so long and he just grinned and said: "Great."

If this is a new trend, and I suspect it is, to some extent, then are we, the hardcore vegetarians, to embrace it or not. I mean, surely it's better to have a healthy meat industry than an unhealthy one?

I'm torn on this, as usual. My logic says, yes, that's true. But my (ir)rationale says no, just stop it. Leaves those animals alone. Eat vegetables and tofu ...

...

... After much thought, I'll side with my logic as far as the general situation goes, but with my instinct on an individual level. (Jeez, I should be a Liberal Democrat with that kind of sitting-on-the-fence ability.)

As far as veggie quandaries go, this one made me chuckle. The author writes: "Running is not vegan because every time I go running in the late Spring/early Summer I end up swallowing an insect."

It's true. But there you go, I'm not vegan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home