Friday, June 09, 2006

No news is good news, right?

All quiet in the world of vegetarianism, it seems. No new breakthroughs, reports, polls or surveys to comment on, but I felt I should say something or it might look like I didn't care or something. A bit off subject, but only a bit, did you see that Spain is planning to give legal rights to apes?

It's quite a step, but one that the animal rights activists among you will regard as a mere nod in the right direction. It is a less than straightforward idea, though. I mean, do apes then have to behave according to human laws? And what about other animals? Where do we draw the line on giving rights to the animals that are "most like us"? Could it spell the end of keeping pets, or at least ones you have to tie on a leash? And is it merely philosophical dribbling, without any substance? I mean, according to the reports, zoos will still be able to keep apes in cages. Hmmm.

Elsewhere, I've been eating a stunningly hearty and delicious breakfast recently. Grated apple, oats, mixed seeds, blueberries, strawberries, sweetened soya milk, honey and hazelnuts. Yum.

3 Comments:

Blogger KleoPatra said...

Love the summer fruit bonus... enjoy!

2:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It will be interesting to see how the new laws play out, and what issues crop up as a result. Your breakfast sounds absolutely delicious. I recently made some homemade granola and added ricemilk to it for breakfast. I also took some of the granola and added raisins, cashews, and sunflower seeds. It was sooo yummy.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Adharanand Finn said...

Yeah, good point Cindy, we should follow this one and see what happens. Apparently the action was begun by the Great Ape Project, which I suspect will be posting updates on its website [www.greatapeproject.org], so we can look there. I think I'll link to it from my blog.

I'm glad my breakfast is getting a good response - it deserves it. I've tried making homemade granola without too much success. Any tips?

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home